Sunday 15 April 2012

Blog#H

Believe in the Beard!

So in the last blog we basically skipped over the whole running deal.  Running has been going well for a while now, mileage is back up, workouts have been feeling good, I am fired up to race on the track this spring.  Huge day for Canadian Marathoners today Duchene and Marchant ran some smoking  womens  times.  My homeboy Watson jacks a huge PB and Wykes the Granddaddy of Canadian marathoning  rips the A standard.   You may say granddaddy of marathon in Canada, why do you say that John? Well it’s because Dylan basically started the marathon movement in Canada way back in 2008. Just the other week I found the Canadian Runner Mag with Wykes on the cover, he looked like a kid.  Well Done Man!

Oh yeah I have been growing my beard again.  Beards are a manly thing women don’t grow beards, therefore beards are for men.  Growing a beard is like wearing a Tshirt that says “100%man”.  Except anyone could buy a T-shirt, Im sure there are thousands of china made knockoff 100%man tshirts.  But a beard, you cant fake a beard.   Beards have a language all their own! Beards rock! Beards command respect!  That reminds me of one fall at the Royal Winter Fair I had a pretty decent beard growth on, so theres a guy that fits cattle, A big intimidating as hell looking man who is a incredible fitter, he also has been known to be goateed or bearded.  Lets call him Frenchy, based on his last name French not on where hes from.  So Frenchy is scary as hell and I have never had the balls to chat with the man. Frenchy and I are passing each other and he looks over to me and says “great beard”. It was a pretty awesome moment.  We parted ways and have never spoke again.  I also got to thinking that everytime Im running well I have been bearded.  All through college for the cross country season-bearded, the winter I had a break through with my mileage and training?-Bearded actually the biggest beard of my life (6 full months of untamed growth) .  Last summer when I thought up the idea of Acura-beards for the Acura 10 miler I was killing it! So yeah the beard is back and it might never leave, who knows.  Beards Rule!

So lets go back to the first weekend in March.  Its Oysterfest Time! Whats Oysterfest you ask? And how does one know of such an event?  Well Oysterfest takes shape in the lovely shoreline town of Fulton Texas!  Way back in college one of my best friends Josh and I were looking for something to do on spring break.  It went like this as we passed each other in the corridor at school
Me: Hey what are you doing next week
Josh: Lets do something, get some drinks
Me: Lets go for a drive
Josh: Where to?
Me: Texas
Josh: I have to go write a test.
Josh wrote his test and then texted me and as they say the rest is history.  We got in the truck of dreams and headed towards Texas.   We stumbled upon Oysterfest and the Boiling Pot Restaurant  by shear luck and have been In love.  I have now been back every year for 4 years.  The second year Josh couldn’t go so my other great friend Kyle went with me.  This year with the new bigger truck all three of us went.  We stayed longer and had one heck of a time.  The beer is cheap, the seafood is fresh,  suns hot. What more could one want?  They love us in Fulton.  Oysterfest is just a big street party and festival with live music and beer tents and such.  The Boiling Pot Restaurant is my all time favorite eatery ever.  We asked the lady at a gift shop at the hotel the first year where we should eat. She told us “across the street is the Charolette Plummer its pretty fancy, or you can go down to the Boiling Pot, it looks a bit scary  but just go on in youll be ok.”  So obviously we went to the Boiling Pot.  The place is a tin shack, homemade door closers and ceiling fans. Beer in a couple steel bath tubs.  Any way we get the Cajun special.  They boil up some shrimp, crab, sausage, sweet corn, and potatoes.  Bring it out to your table with some bowls of butter and dump it out for you to eat. Its glorious.  Texas is great! We will be back.

So yeah, great day for Canadian Marathoners, Beards rule, Texas is grand!  Oh yeah  over 3000 views on this blog here, good job internet!  

No comments:

Post a Comment